Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Down to the wire. California US House election could end in improbable tie vote for second place -FundPrime
TrendPulse|Down to the wire. California US House election could end in improbable tie vote for second place
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:39
SAN JOSE,TrendPulse Calif. (AP) — A U.S. House race in California appears headed for a mathematically improbable result – after more than 180,000 votes were cast, a tie for second place.
If the numbers hold, that means that the state’s “top two” election system would have to make room for a third candidate on the November ballot, an apparent first for a House race in the state.
“This is a fantastically unlikely outcome,” said Paul Mitchell of Political Data Inc., a research firm that closely tracks voting trends.
Eleven candidates were on the ballot in the heavily Democratic 16th District in the March 5 primary, south of San Francisco, a seat being vacated by retiring Democratic Rep. Anna Eshoo. Under California rules, all candidates appear on the same primary ballot but only the two with the most votes advance to the general election, regardless of political party.
The top spot was claimed by former San Jose mayor Sam Liccardo, a Democrat, according to unofficial results that indicated all votes had been tallied. Two other Democrats were deadlocked for the second spot, with 30,249 votes each — state Assembly member Evan Low and Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian.
Secretary of State Shirley Weber, who oversees elections, has until April 12 to certify the results.
With three Democrats potentially headed for November, the contest will not play into control of the narrowly divided House, which will be decided in swing districts being contested by Democrats and Republicans around the country.
The tallies for Low and Simitian seesawed in recent days before settling into a tie on Wednesday — “It’s a special ‘Tie’ day!” Low tweeted at the time, sporting a brightly colored necktie in a photo.
The race also is a reminder of the state’s agonizingly slow vote counting — in this case, the outcome remains in doubt weeks after election day. The cost of a recount must be paid by whoever requests it, and with a cost likely to rise over $300,000 for a second count, it seems unlikely from any of the campaigns.
A three-way contest in November, with a different electorate coming to the polls, would reshuffle the dynamics of the race — “a total reset,” Mitchell noted.
“It’s really, really, really unlikely this would happen,” he said.
____
Associated Press writer Michael Blood contributed to this report from Los Angeles.
veryGood! (8663)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Cape Cod’s fishhook topography makes it a global hotspot for mass strandings by dolphins
- A law passed last year made assault in an emergency room a felony. Did it help curb violence?
- Judge removed from long-running gang and racketeering case against rapper Young Thug and others
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Deals That Are Sure To Sell Out: Shop Le Creuset, UGG, Longchamp & More
- Lionel Messi brought to tears after an ankle injury during Copa America final
- Sparks Fly in Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Double Date Photo With Brittany and Patrick Mahomes
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Charlize Theron Shares Rare Insight Into Bond With Firecracker Kids Jackson and August
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Video captures chaotic moment when Trump reportedly shot on stage at rally
- NFL Hall of Famer says he was unjustly handcuffed and ‘humiliated’ on a flight
- Tori Spelling Applauds Late Beverly Hills, 90210 Costar Shannen Doherty for Being a Rebel
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Rep. Jason Crow says unless there is a major change, there's a high risk that Democrats lose the election
- Samsung announces Galaxy Z Fold6 and Z Flip6. Is it time to get a foldable smartphone?
- Macy's ends talks with investment firms that bid $6.9 billion for ailing retailer
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Tori Spelling Applauds Late Beverly Hills, 90210 Costar Shannen Doherty for Being a Rebel
Son of Asia's richest man gets married in the year's most extravagant wedding
Trump assassination attempt hovers over Republican National Convention | The Excerpt
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Mechanical issues prompt 2 Delta Air Lines flights to divert, return to airport
Nate Diaz suing co-promoter of Jorge Masvidal fight for $9 million
Sarah Michelle Gellar Details Decades-Long Bond With Shannen Doherty After Her Death