Current:Home > InvestU.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -FundPrime
U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 06:50:12
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (4819)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- When are Rudolph and Frosty on TV? Here's the CBS holiday programming schedule for 2023
- North Dakota governor asks Legislature to reconsider his $91M income tax cut plan
- Author Salman Rushdie calls for defense of freedom of expression as he receives German prize
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- American basketball player attacked in Poland, left with injured eye socket
- When are Rudolph and Frosty on TV? Here's the CBS holiday programming schedule for 2023
- How Exactly Did Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake's Split Get So Nasty?
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Should USC and Ohio State be worried? Bold predictions for Week 8 in college football
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- People are asking to be doxxed online – and the videos are going viral.
- Bay Area rap icon E-40 films music video at San Joaquin Valley vineyard
- Shooter gets 23 years to life for ambushing New York City police twice in 12 hours, wounding 2
- 'Most Whopper
- Sir Bobby Charlton, Manchester United and England soccer great, dies at 86
- Toddler, 3, grazed by bullet in bed in Connecticut; police say drive-by shooting was ‘targeted’
- How a weekly breakfast at grandma's helped students heal from the grief of losing a classmate
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
5 dead and 5 injured — names on a scrap of paper show impact of Gaza war on a US family
'Love Island Games' cast: See Season 1 contestants returning from USA, UK episodes
Phoenix Mercury owner can learn a lot from Mark Davis about what it means to truly respect the WNBA
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Sydney Sweeney Gives Her Goof Ball Costar Glen Powell a Birthday Shoutout
A car bombing at a Somali military facility kills 6 people, including 4 soldiers, police say
UK records a fourth death linked to a storm that battered northern Europe