Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundPrime
Chainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 10:47:46
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Chainkeen Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (794)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Kate Middleton's Brother James Middleton Expecting First Baby With Alizee Thevenet
- Max streaming service says it will restore writer and director credits after outcry
- Why Beyoncé Just Canceled an Upcoming Stop on Her Renaissance Tour
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- A Natural Ecology Lab Along the Delaware River in the First State to Require K-12 Climate Education
- Meta is fined a record $1.3 billion over alleged EU law violations
- Biden is counting on Shalanda Young to cut a spending deal Republicans can live with
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- The dangers of money market funds
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- A Natural Ecology Lab Along the Delaware River in the First State to Require K-12 Climate Education
- See the Moment Meghan Trainor's Son Riley Met His Baby Brother
- NATO Moves to Tackle Military Greenhouse Gas Emissions Even While Girding Against Russia
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Why Beyoncé Just Canceled an Upcoming Stop on Her Renaissance Tour
- When it Comes to Reducing New York City Emissions, CUNY Flunks the Test
- China dominates the solar power industry. The EU wants to change that
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Can Wolves and Beavers Help Save the West From Global Warming?
An Orlando drag show restaurant files lawsuit against Florida and Gov. Ron DeSantis
One Candidate for Wisconsin’s Senate Race Wants to Put the State ‘In the Driver’s Seat’ of the Clean Energy Economy. The Other Calls Climate Science ‘Lunacy’
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Without Significant Greenhouse Gas Reductions, Countries in the Tropics and Subtropics Could Face ‘Extreme’ Heat Danger by 2100, a New Study Concludes
Germany's economy contracts, signaling a recession
A Natural Ecology Lab Along the Delaware River in the First State to Require K-12 Climate Education