Current:Home > reviewsArkansas panel bans electronic signatures on voter registration forms -FundPrime
Arkansas panel bans electronic signatures on voter registration forms
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:15:12
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas panel has prohibited election officials from accepting voter registration forms signed with an electronic signature, a move that critics say amounts to voter suppression.
The State Board of Election Commissions on Tuesday unanimously approved the emergency rule. The order and an accompanying order say Arkansas’ constitution only allows certain state agencies, and not elections officials, to accept electronic signatures, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported. The rule is in effect for 120 days while the panel works on a permanent rule.
Under the emergency rule, voters will have to register by signing their name with a pen.
Chris Madison, the board’s director, said the change is needed to create “uniformity across the state.” Some county clerks have accepted electronic signatures and others have not.
The move comes after a nonprofit group, Get Loud Arkansas, helped register voters using electronic signatures. It said the board’s decision conflicts with a recent attorney general’s opinion that an electronic signature is generally valid under state law. The nonbinding legal opinion had been requested by Republican Secretary of State John Thurston.
Former Democratic state Sen. Joyce Elliott, who heads Get Loud Arkansas, told the newspaper that the group is considering legal action to challenge the rule but had not made a decision yet.
The Arkansas rule is the latest in a wave of new voting restrictions in Republican-led states in recent years that critics say disenfranchise voters, particularly in low-income and underserved areas. Lawsuits have been filed challenging similar restrictions on the use of electronic signatures in Georgia and Florida.
“What we are seeing in Arkansas is a stark reminder that voter suppression impacts all of us,” Andrea Hailey, CEO of Vote.org, a national get-out-the vote group, said in a statement released Wednesday. “No voter is safe when state officials abandon the law in the name of voter suppression.”
Get Loud organizers had used a tablet to help register voters, with applicants filling out the form and signing with their finger or stylus on a touch screen. The nonprofit would then mail the application to a county clerk. The group used forms from the secretary of state’s office to assist voters with registration.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Ship targeted in suspected Yemen Houthi rebel drone attack in southern Red Sea as tensions high
- Roger Goodell pushes back on claims NFL scripted Super Bowl 58 for Taylor Swift sideshow
- Carl Weathers was more than 'Rocky.' He was an NFL player − and a science fiction star.
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- One state has a shortage of marijuana. Its neighbor had too much. What to do?
- Normally at a crawl, the Los Angeles River threatens to overflow during torrential rains
- California could legalize psychedelic therapy after rejecting ‘magic mushroom’ decriminalization
- Average rate on 30
- Applebee's makes more Date Night Passes available, but there's a catch
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Man with samurai sword making threats arrested in Walmart, police say
- Fake robocalls. Doctored videos. Why Facebook is being urged to fix its election problem.
- Mississippi will spend billions on broadband. Advocates say needy areas have been ignored
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- White House renews calls on Congress to extend internet subsidy program
- First Russians are fined or jailed over rainbow-colored items after LGBTQ+ ‘movement’ is outlawed
- Ukrainian-born Miss Japan Karolina Shiino renounces title after affair with married man
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Rapper Killer Mike Breaks His Silence on Arrest at 2024 Grammy Awards
Messi says he “feels much better” and hopeful of playing in Tokyo after PR disaster in Hong Kong
Taylor Swift drops track list for new album, including two collaborations
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
What Selena Gomez’s Friend Nicola Peltz Beckham Thinks of Her Benny Blanco Romance
Ukrainian-born Miss Japan Karolina Shiino renounces title after affair with married man
Women dominated the 2024 Grammy Awards. Is the tide turning?