Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier is returning home after extended deployment defending Israel -FundPrime
Burley Garcia|The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier is returning home after extended deployment defending Israel
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 10:10:02
The Burley GarciaUSS Gerald R. Ford carrier strike group is headed home, the Navy announced Monday, months after being deployed to the eastern Mediterranean to provide protection for Israel following the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas.
The Ford and its accompanying warships will be replaced by the amphibious assault ship the USS Bataan and its accompanying warships, the USS Mesa Verde and the USS Carter Hall. The three vessels had been in the Red Sea and have been transiting toward the Eastern Mediterranean over the last few days. The Navy said in its Monday announcement the group remaining will include the three ships and 2,000 Marines "that provide sea-based expeditionary forces capable of supporting a wide range of missions."
The Ford stayed in the Eastern Mediterranean while its accompanying warships had sailed into the Red Sea, where they repeatedly intercepted incoming ballistic missiles and attack drones fired from Houthi-controlled Yemen. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin visited the Ford last month.
Since it was extended in the Eastern Mediterranean, the Ford and the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier have been part of a two-carrier presence bracketing the Israel-Hamas war, underscoring U.S. concerns that the conflict will widen. The Eisenhower has recently patrolled near the Gulf of Aden, at the mouth of the Red Sea waterway, where so many commercial vessels have come under attack in recent weeks.
On Sunday, helicopters from the Eisenhower and its destroyer the USS Gravely responded to a distress call from the container ship Maersk Hangzhou, which was under attack by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats. As the helicopters responded, the boats fired at them with crew-served weapons and small arms and the helicopters returned fire, sinking three of the four boats and killing their crews, the U.S. Central Command said.
The incessant attacks on the commercial ships have led some companies to suspend transits through the narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait, which connects the Gulf of Aden to the southern Red Sea and then the Suez Canal.
- In:
- War
- Israel
- U.S. Navy
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Kaiser Permanente workers set to end historic strike, but another may loom
- Hawaii's 'overtourism' becomes growing debate as West Maui reopens for visitors
- Doctor pleads not guilty to charges he sexually assaulted women he met on dating apps
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Individual actions you can take to address climate change
- SIG SAUER announces expansion of ammunition manufacturing facility in Arkansas with 625 new jobs
- Wanted: Social workers
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Rare manatee that visited Rhode Island found dead offshore
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- MLB playoff predictions: Braves are World Series favorites, but postseason looks wide open
- Credit card APRs are surging ever higher. Here's how to get a lower rate.
- Doctor who treated Morgan State shooting victim is gunshot survivor himself
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Make Meal Prepping a Breeze With These 17 Amazon Must-Haves
- Maralee Nichols and Tristan Thompson's Son Theo Showcases His Athletic Skills
- Simone Biles makes history, wins sixth world championship all-around title: Highlights
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Horoscopes Today, October 6, 2023
2023 UAW strike update: GM agrees to place electric vehicle battery plants under national contract
Why Fans Are Convinced Drake Is Dissing Rihanna on New Song Fear of Heights
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
The race is on for NHL rookie of the year 2023: Here's a look at top players
Videos show Ecuador police seize nearly 14 tons of drugs destined for U.S., Central America and Europe
'Of course you think about it': Arnold Schwarzenegger spills on presidential ambitions