Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant -FundPrime
Robert Brown|Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:10:06
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An environmental group has sued the U.S. Energy Department over its decision to award over $1 billion to help keep California’s last nuclear power plant running beyond a planned closure that was set for 2025. The Robert Brownmove opens another battlefront in the fight over the future of Diablo Canyon’s twin reactors.
Friends of the Earth, in a complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, argued that the award to plant operator Pacific Gas & Electric last year was based on an outdated, flawed analysis that failed to recognize the risk of earthquakes or other serious events.
The complaint called the safety assessment “grossly deficient” and accuses the Energy Department of relying on a 50-year-old environmental analysis.
“The environmental impacts from extending the lifespan of this aging power plant at this point in time have not been adequately addressed or disclosed to the public,” the complaint said.
An email seeking comment was sent to the Energy Department.
Diablo Canyon lies on a bluff overlooking the Pacific midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It began operating in the mid-1980s and supplies up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
In 2016, PG&E, environmental groups and unions representing plant workers agreed to close the facility by 2025. But the Legislature voided the deal in 2022 after Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom reversed his position and said the power is needed to ward off blackouts as the state transitions to renewables and climate change stresses California’s energy system.
Since then, disputes have swirled about the safety of Diablo Canyon’s decades-old reactors, whether taxpayers might be saddled with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional costs and even if the electricity is needed in the age of solar and other green energy.
PG&E has long said the twin-domed plant is safe, an assessment endorsed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The Biden administration approved $1.1 billion in Energy Department funding in January. The financing came through the administration’s civil nuclear credit program, which is intended to bail out financially distressed owners or operators of nuclear power reactors as part of the administration’s effort to cut planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 compared with 2005 levels.
PG&E has said it wants to keep the plant open to “ensure statewide electrical reliability and combat climate change” at the direction of the state.
The utility is seeking a 20-year extension of its federal licenses, typical in the industry, but emphasized the state would control how long the plant actually runs. A state judge has conditionally approved a blueprint to keep it operating for an additional five years, until 2030.
California is the birthplace of the modern environmental movement and for decades has had a fraught relationship with nuclear power. The fight over Diablo Canyon is playing out as the long-struggling nuclear industry sees a potential rebirth in the era of global warming. Nuclear power doesn’t produce carbon pollution like fossil fuels, but it leaves behind waste that can remain dangerously radioactive for centuries.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- In California Pride flag shooting, a suspect identified and a community galvanized
- Al-Nassr advances to Asian Champions League group stage
- Jennifer Aniston Details How Parents' Divorce Impacted Her Own Approach to Relationships
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- When does 'The Voice' Season 24 come out? Premiere date, coaches, how to watch
- An Ohio school bus overturns after crash with minivan, leaving 1 child dead and 23 injured
- Indianapolis woman charged with neglect in son’s accidental shooting death
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Federal judge orders utility to turn over customer information amid reports of improper water use
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Royals unveil proposed ballpark and entertainment district plans for 2 locations
- Jennifer Aniston reveals she's 'so over' cancel culture: 'Is there no redemption?'
- Why we don't trust the 'vanilla girl'
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Tish Cyrus marries Dominic Purcell in Malibu ceremony 4 months after engagement
- Sheriff seeking phone records between Alabama priest and 18-year-old woman who fled to Europe
- Gisele Bündchen Tells Tom Brady's Son Jack She'll Always Be Here for Him After Divorce
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Want to tune in for the first GOP presidential debate? Here’s how to watch
Biden pledges to help Maui ‘for as long as it takes,’ Richardson's 100M win: 5 Things podcast
Sha’Carri Richardson wins 100, claims fastest woman in world title
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Drew Barrymore Audience Member Recounts “Distraught” Reaction to Man’s Interruption
US tightens some offshore oil rig safety rules that had been loosened under Trump
See the Moment Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian’s Daughter Olympia Met Her Baby Sister