Current:Home > MyGerman government plans to allow asylum-seekers to work sooner and punish smugglers harder -FundPrime
German government plans to allow asylum-seekers to work sooner and punish smugglers harder
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:22
BERLIN (AP) — The German government has approved legislation that would allow asylum-seekers to start working sooner and a plan to stiffen punishment for people who smuggle migrants.
The package backed by the Cabinet on Wednesday, which still requires parliamentary approval, is the latest in a series of steps taken recently by the government as it tries to defuse migration as a major political problem. The issue was one of several that led to a poor showing in state elections last month for Chancellor OIaf Scholz’s quarrelsome three-party coalition and gains for a far-right party.
Last week, ministers approved legislation intended to ease deportations of unsuccessful asylum-seekers. On Monday, Scholz will hold a meeting with Germany’s 16 state governors expected to center on responses to migration.
Shelters for migrants and refugees have been filling up across Germany in recent months and Scholz, who faces enormous pressure on migration from the opposition and elsewhere, has said that “too many are coming.” The country also has seen more than 1 million Ukrainians arrive since the start of Russia’s war in their homeland.
Even as it struggles with the new arrivals, the government also is grappling with a shortage of skilled labor.
Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said that, under the government’s plan, asylum-seekers will be allowed to start working after three to six months in Germany, down from nine months at present.
On top of an existing plan to attract more skilled workers, “we must also use as best we can the professional potential and qualification of people who already live in Germany,” she said. “To do that, we must get them into work as quickly as possible.”
People whose asylum applications have failed but for various reasons can’t be deported will, as a rule, be given permission to work in the future, Faeser added. But those who come from nations deemed “safe countries of origin” and have no case to stay, or refuse to disclose their identity, still won’t be allowed to work.
Faeser pointed to parallel efforts to expand integration courses in which newcomers learn German.
The new rules “shouldn’t lead to an incentive system,” she said. “This is above all about the people who are already here, where we think getting them into work early for reasons of integration is helpful ... and of course, it leads to acceptance in the rest of the population if people who come here also work.”
While getting more migrants into the labor market, the government also wants to signal that it is cracking down on people smugglers.
Faeser said its plan calls for most offenses involving smuggling to be punished with a minimum of one year in prison, up from six months now. It foresees a sentence of between 10 years and life for smuggling resulting in death. At present, sentences for the latter range from three to 15 years.
In all cases of smuggling offenses, police will be entitled to tap suspected smugglers’ cellphones, Faeser added.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of global migration at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (3)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Psst! Target’s Spring Home Sale Has Hundreds of Deals up to 50% off on Furniture, Kitchen Items & More
- U.S. birth rate drops to record low, ending pandemic uptick
- Mike Pinder, last original Moody Blues member, dies months after bandmate Denny Laine
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Recreational marijuana backers can gather signatures for North Dakota ballot initiative
- BNSF becomes 2nd major railroad to sign on to anonymous federal safety hotline for some workers
- Driver charged with negligent homicide in fiery crash that shut down Connecticut highway bridge
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Ashley Judd, #MeToo founders react to ruling overturning Harvey Weinstein’s conviction
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 17 states challenge federal rules entitling workers to accommodations for abortion
- Selling weight-loss and muscle-building supplements to minors in New York is now illegal
- Caleb Williams goes to the Bears with the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- My Favorite SKIMS Drops This Month: Strapless Bras That Don't Slip, Bold Swimwear, Soft Loungewear & More
- Billy Porter Is Missing the 2024 Met Gala for This Important Reason
- Former Slack CEO's 16-Year-Old Child Mint Butterfield Reported Missing
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Kentucky appeals court denies Bob Baffert-trained Arkansas Derby winner Muth to enter Kentucky Derby
Celebrate Draft Day With These Top Picks, From Cool Merch to Home Decor & More Touchdown-Worthy Finds
Charlie Woods fails to qualify for US Open in his first attempt, shooting a 9-over 81
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Why Emma Stone Wants to Drop Her Stage Name
Bears have prime opportunity to pick a superstar receiver in draft for Caleb Williams
US abortion battle rages on with moves to repeal Arizona ban and a Supreme Court case