Current:Home > MarketsSuspect charged with murder, home invasion in deadly Illinois stabbing and beating rampage -FundPrime
Suspect charged with murder, home invasion in deadly Illinois stabbing and beating rampage
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:38
ROCKFORD, Ill. — An Illinois man charged in a deadly stabbing and beating spree told police that he became paranoid after smoking marijuana that may have been laced with another drug, a chief prosecutor said Thursday.
Christian Soto, 22, has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts attempted first-degree murder and two counts of home invasion in connection with a series of violent attacks in Rockford, authorities said at a news conference. He made his first court appearance Thursday and remains held without bond, according to Winnebago County jail records.
Soto, who lives in Rockford, is accused of killing four people and injuring seven others at multiple scenes in Rockford and Winnebago County on Wednesday afternoon. Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara identified the victims who were killed as Romona Schupbach, 63; Jacob Schupbach, 23; Jay Larson, 49; and Jenna Newcomb, 15.
"Our community has experienced such unthinkable tragedies this week," McNamara said at the news conference Thursday while holding back tears. "The trauma of this magnitude impacts all of us. These are dark days, but we as Rockfordians — we'll get through this."
Not all of the victims were stabbed and none had been shot, according to police. Four of the injured were treated and released, and three others remained hospitalized on Thursday.
Soto was arrested by police Wednesday. He will remain in Winnebago County Jail until at least April 2, when his detention hearing is scheduled.
Illinois Walmart stabbing:Walmart employee fatally stabbed at Illinois store, suspect charged with murder
Chief prosecutor: Suspect told police he smoked marijuana laced with narcotic
The spree of violence included five crime scenes in a Rockford neighborhood and an area in Winnebago County, authorities said. The incident began with the killings of Jacob Schupbach and his mother, Romona Schupbach, according to Winnebago County State's Attorney J. Hanley.
Rockford police received a report of a person "being run over by a vehicle and possibly stabbed" outside of a home on Wednesday afternoon, Hanley said at the news conference Thursday. Responding officers conducted a welfare check and discovered the bodies of Jacob and Romona Schupbach, who appeared to have been stabbed.
Witnesses told police that they saw Jacob Schupbach “being chased across the street" by Soto, according to Hanley. Witnesses also saw Soto "in possession of an unknown possibly black object that he was hitting or stabbing Jacob with as he was lying on the ground," Hanley said.
Soto then entered a vehicle parked in the home's driveway and "proceeded to run over Jacob at the end of the driveway," Hanley added. Witnesses said they saw Jacob Schupbach get up and run back into the residence.
Soto then followed Jacob Schupbach into the home and fled "a short time later," Hanley said. Soto allegedy admitted to police after his arrest that he was friends with Jacob Schupbach and went to the 23-year-old's house to smoke marijuana.
Soto told police that "he believes the drugs provided to him by Jacob were 'laced' with an unknown narcotic," according to Hanley.
"Soto said he became paranoid after the drug usage," Hanley added. "He said he retrieved a knife from the kitchen at Jacob’s house and proceeded to stab Jacob and Ramona to death."
U.S. postal worker, teen girl on spring break among victims killed
After the Schupbachs were killed, Hanley said Soto fled the residence and attacked Larson, a U.S. postal worker. A witness said he saw Soto "battering" Larson and stabbing him repeatedly with a knife Soto retrieved from his vehicle, according to Hanley.
Soto then ran over Larson twice and fled the scene on foot, Hanley said. Responding officers discovered Larson with multiple stab wounds in the front yard of a home and he later died of his injuries at a hospital.
Larson was a 25-year veteran of the U.S. Postal Service, according to Ruth Mendoza, the inspector in charge for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service-Chicago.
"This tragedy occurred while Jay was doing his job, like many of us were at that exact time," Mendoza said at the news conference Thursday. "Jay was doing what he loved — serving his community, delivering mail to customers."
As police converged on the area, Soto broke into a house where teenage girls were home on spring break and were watching a movie, according to Hanley. Soto attacked the three girls, including killing Newcomb, with a softball bat that he found in the house.
“The girls ran to the corner of the bedroom. He started swinging the bat, striking all of the female victims,” Hanley said. Soto later fled the home.
"Jenna’s mom wants the community to know that Jenna died saving her sister and her friend and protecting them from further harm," McNamara said.
veryGood! (735)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- China's new tactic against Taiwan: drills 'that dare not speak their name'
- Mystery drones are swarming New Jersey skies, but can you shoot them down?
- Lil Durk suspected of funding a 2022 murder as he seeks jail release in separate case
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- New Jersey targets plastic packaging that fills landfills and pollutes
- Wisconsin kayaker who faked his death and fled to Eastern Europe is in custody, online records show
- Shanghai bear cub Junjun becomes breakout star
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Beyoncé will perform halftime during NFL Christmas Day Game: Here's what to know
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Worst. Tariffs. Ever. (update)
- China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
- Kylie Kelce's podcast 'Not Gonna Lie' tops Apple, Spotify less than a week after release
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Google forges ahead with its next generation of AI technology while fending off a breakup threat
- Fewer U.S. grandparents are taking care of grandchildren, according to new data
- Chiquis comes from Latin pop royalty. How the regional Mexican star found her own crown
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
China's new tactic against Taiwan: drills 'that dare not speak their name'
'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
Luigi Mangione merchandise raises controversy, claims of glorifying violence
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Michael Bublé Details Heartwarming Moment With Taylor Swift’s Parents at Eras Tour
Netizens raise privacy concerns over Acra's Bizfile search function revealing citizens' IC numbers
Luigi Mangione's Lawyer Speaks Out in UnitedHealthcare CEO Murder Case