Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud -FundPrime
Poinbank:New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 11:02:28
CONCORD,Poinbank N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire casino owned by a former state senator accused of buying luxury cars with a fraudulently obtained COVID-19 relief loan will be shut down Jan. 1 but allowed to reopen in six months if sold to a new owner, the state lottery commission said in a decision made public Thursday
The commission tried in August to permanently revoke Andy Sanborn’s gaming operator’s license, but he appealed the decision and requested a hearing before an independent examiner. That hearing was held earlier this month, and a decision was issued Wednesday.
Sanborn, a Republican from Bedford, owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and was seeking to open a much larger charitable gaming venue a few miles away. But the commission argued that his license should be revoked because he improperly obtained federal funds, misrepresented how he spent the money, paid himself large sums as rent and failed to keep accurate records overall.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services,” officials said.
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, investigators said.
In his ruling, hearings examiner Michael King said it was not within his purview to determine if the loan application was fraudulent, but said filing it with “clear false and/or misleading information” was enough to suspend his license because such action “undermines the public confidence in charitable gaming.” He also rejected Sanborn’s claim that the cars were not purchased with the loan, saying there was a “straight line” from the receipt of the loan to the purchase of the vehicles. And he noted that none of the cars were American made, which violates the terms of the loan.
Revocation of the license was not appropriate, King said, because other license holders had been given opportunities to sell their businesses prior to suspensions or revocations.
Sanborn, who did not attend the hearing because he was at a medical appointment, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. His lawyer had argued that the state’s entire case was built on a sloppy investigation and unproven allegations about the COVID-19 relief loan.
At the time the allegations were announced in August, officials said federal authorities had been notified and that the state had begun a criminal investigation.
veryGood! (61552)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Man hospitalized after shark attack off Southern California coast
- Gabby Petito's Mom Forgives Brian Laundrie for Killing Her Daughter But Not His Evil Mother
- Remembering D-Day, RAF veteran Gilbert Clarke recalls the thrill of planes overhead
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Shooting at South Carolina block party leaves 2 dead, 2 wounded, police say
- Climate solution: Massachusetts town experiments with community heating and cooling
- Let's (try to) end the debate: Does biweekly mean twice a week or twice a month?
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- South Korea says North Korea is sending even more balloons carrying garbage across border
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Jury selection is beginning in gun case against President Joe Biden’s son
- Climate Change is Fueling the Loss of Indigenous Languages That Could Be Crucial to Combating It
- Sally Buzbee steps down as executive editor of the Washington Post
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- WNBA upgrades foul on Caitlin Clark by Chennedy Carter, fines Angel Reese for no postgame interview
- High-level Sinaloa cartel member — a U.S. fugitive known as Cheyo Antrax — is shot dead in Mexico
- Climate Change is Fueling the Loss of Indigenous Languages That Could Be Crucial to Combating It
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Orson Merrick: Continues to be optimistic about the investment opportunities in the US stock software sector in 2024, and recommends investors to actively seize the opportunity for corrections
US gymnastics championships: Simone Biles wins record ninth national all-around title
Zhilei Zhang knocks out Deontay Wilder: Round-by-round fight analysis
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
A 'very emotional' ABBA reunites to receive Swedish royal honors: See the photos
Simone Biles continues Olympic prep by cruising to her 9th U.S. Championships title
4 ways Napster changed the music industry, from streaming to how artists make money