Current:Home > MarketsPeter Navarro, former Trump White House adviser, ordered to report to federal prison by March 19 -FundPrime
Peter Navarro, former Trump White House adviser, ordered to report to federal prison by March 19
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:50:25
Washington — Former President Donald Trump's White House trade adviser, Peter Navarro, has been ordered to report to federal prison in Miami by March 19, following his conviction on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress, his lawyers revealed in a court filing on Sunday.
Navarro was found guilty by a jury last year of defying a subpoena for documents and testimony from the now-defunct House select committee that investigated the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack. After refusing to comply with the congressional request, the House of Representatives held him in contempt and referred the matter to the U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., for prosecution.
Congressional investigators were looking into his efforts to formulate a plan that would have delayed the certification of the 2020 presidential election results. Navarro is poised to be the first Trump administration official to serve time for post-2020 election-related conduct.
The former Trump adviser has appealed his conviction, stating that he didn't comply with the committee's demands because he believed he was restricted by executive privilege. Prosecutors argued — and the judge overseeing last year's criminal trial agreed — that the explanation was not a valid legal defense because Navarro failed to prove that Trump had asserted the privilege. As a result, the court ruled he could not raise it at trial.
U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta, who made the decision, said that his ruling on executive privilege was likely to be appealed because he recognized the binding legal precedent upon which it was based affected Navarro's defense. He later sentenced Navarro to four months in prison and rejected Navarro's request to remain free pending the appeal.
Navarro's lawyers turned to the appeals court to keep him out of prison during the appeal process and said in court filings they could take the matter to the Supreme Court.
During the trial and at sentencing, prosecutors alleged that Navarro "acted like he was above the law" when he did not comply with the committee's order and "thumbed his nose" at their work.
The judge, who said he took issue with Navarro's public comments about the case, told him during the January sentencing that asserting privilege is not "magical dust" or "a get-out-of-jail free card."
"Should this Court find either that the privilege should have been acknowledged or that Dr. Navarro should have been permitted to present evidence of his reliance on the assertion of executive privilege in his defense, the reversal of his conviction will be required," Navarro's attorneys wrote Sunday to the appeals court.
An attorney for Navarro declined to comment further.
In a statement Monday, Navarro said his case, "will eventually determine whether the constitutional separation of powers is preserved, whether executive privilege will continue to exist as a bulwark against partisan attacks by the legislative branch, and whether executive privilege will remain, as President George Washington pioneered, a critical instrument of effective presidential decision-making. That's worth fighting for on behalf of all Americans."
Former Trump White House strategist Steve Bannon was also found guilty of contempt of Congress after he did not comply with a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee. Like Navarro, he was sentenced to four months in prison, but the judge in his case has allowed Bannon to remain free pending an appeal of his case because the judge said it was likely the higher court could reverse the conviction or order a new trial.
Federal prosecutors declined to prosecute two other Trump aides — former chief of staff Mark Meadows and adviser Dan Scavino — also for contempt of Congress.
Robert LegareRobert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (3881)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Trump Media's funding partner says it's returning $1 billion to investors, with many asking for money back
- Chris Evans Breaks Silence on Marriage to Alba Baptista
- A Reuters videographer killed in southern Lebanon by Israeli shelling is laid to rest
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Palestinians flee within Gaza after Israel orders mass evacuation and stages brief ground incursions
- 3 dead after a shooting at a party at a Denver industrial storefront
- France is deploying 7,000 troops after a deadly school stabbing by a suspected Islamic radical
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Teen survivor of Kfar Aza massacre says family hid for 16 hours as Hamas rampaged through community
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 30 Amazon Post-Prime Day Deals That Are Still On Sale
- LeVar Burton to replace Drew Barrymore as host of National Book Awards
- Mexican military helicopter crashes in the country’s north killing 3 crew members
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Son shoots father in stomach after argument over weed eater in Pennsylvania
- Israeli family mourns grandfather killed by Hamas and worries about grandmother, a captive in Gaza
- Inflation has a new victim: Girl Scout cookies
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Hornets’ Miles Bridges turns himself in after arrest warrant issued over protection order
A Reuters videographer killed in southern Lebanon by Israeli shelling is laid to rest
Montana man to return home from hospital weeks after grizzly bear bit off lower jaw
'Most Whopper
Bad Bunny Hints at NSFW Moment With Kendall Jenner at Sister's House
New Hampshire man wins $1 million from $1.4 billion Powerball draw
Teen survivor of Kfar Aza massacre says family hid for 16 hours as Hamas rampaged through community