Current:Home > MarketsJapan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water -FundPrime
Japan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 10:57:21
TOKYO (AP) — Japan criticized Russia’s announcement that it’s joining China in banning the imports of Japanese seafood in response to the release of treated radioactive wastewater from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant.
Russia said it will start implementing import restrictions on Japanese seafood on Monday, nearly two months after the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant started releasing treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the ocean.
The wastewater discharges, which are expected to continue for decades, have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people have protested. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood the day the release began in August, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
The Japanese Foreign Ministry said its senior officials notified the Russian Embassy in Tokyo that Japan has been providing transparent and scientific explanations about safety of the treated water release from the Fukushima plant and Japanese seafood. The ministry also said the Japanese side “sincerely and politely” responded to Russia’s abrupt request for a dialogue last week on the issue by submitting documents.
The ministry called Moscow’s restrictions “unjust” and said they go counter to the global move toward easing or lifting of import restrictions on Japanese food.
“The decision by the Russian side is extremely regrettable, and we strongly demand its withdrawal,” the ministry said. “Japan continues to seek actions based on science.”
The plant’s first wastewater release began Aug. 24 and ended Sept. 11. During that release, TEPCO said it discharged 7,800 tons of treated water from 10 tanks. In the second discharge that began Oct. 5, TEPCO plans to release another 7,800 tons of treated water into the Pacific Ocean over 17 days.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has reviewed the safety of the wastewater release and concluded that if carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health.
A team of IAEA experts from China, South Korea and Canada is set to conduct sampling of seawater and marine life at and near the plant this week.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban. Measures also include the temporary purchase, freezing and storage of seafood and promotion of seafood sales at home.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks will reach capacity early next year and space at the plant will be needed for its decommissioning, which is expected to take decades.
They say the water is treated to reduce radioactive materials to safe levels, and then is diluted with seawater by hundreds of times to make it much safer than international standards.
veryGood! (1199)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- The White Stripes sue Donald Trump for copyright infringement over 'Seven Nation Army'
- These Designer Michael Kors Handbags Are on Sale & Too Good To Be True—Score an Extra 20% off Fall Styles
- Body cam footage shows police throwing Tyreek Hill to ground before Dolphins opener
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Dolphins' Tyreek Hill being detained serves as painful reminder it could have been worse
- Colorado man dies on Colorado River trip; 7th fatality at Grand Canyon National Park since July 31
- Tyreek Hill knee injury: What we know (and don't) about surgery mentioned in police footage
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Ryan Seacrest debuts as new host of ‘Wheel of Fortune’
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Ryan Seacrest debuts as 'Wheel of Fortune' host with Vanna White by his side
- Diddy ordered to pay $100M in default judgment for alleged sexual assault
- Police are questioning Florida voters about signing an abortion rights ballot petition
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Georgia police clerk charged with stealing from her own department after money goes missing
- Jana Duggar Details Picking Out “Stunning” Dress and Venue for Wedding to Stephen Wissmann
- When does 'The Voice' start? Season 26 date, time and Snoop Dogg's coaching debut
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Bachelorette’s Jenn Tran Reveals She Reached Out to Ex Devin Strader After Tense Finale
Princess Charlotte Has the Best Reaction to Parents William and Kate’s Major PDA Moment
Get 50% Off Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Face Tightener, Kyle Richards’ Unite Detangler, Plus $4 Ulta Deals
Travis Hunter, the 2
Mark Hamill, LeVar Burton and more mourn James Earl Jones
Will Travis Kelce attend the VMAs to support Taylor Swift? Here's what to know
Ryan Seacrest debuts as new host of ‘Wheel of Fortune’