Current:Home > InvestSuspect in deadly Northern California stabbings declared mentally unfit for trial -FundPrime
Suspect in deadly Northern California stabbings declared mentally unfit for trial
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:45
The trial against a former Northern California university student accused of fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third in a college town has been placed on hold after prosecutors agreed that he is not competent to stand trial for charges related to the attacks.
The judge dismissed jurors in Carlos Dominguez’s competency trial Monday, which would have been the fifth day of testimony after county prosecutors informed the court last week they no longer planned to fight the defense by Dominguez’s attorney that he was not mentally fit for trial.
A determination of incompetency means Dominguez cannot currently understand court proceedings, assist his attorney in his defense and understand his own status in the criminal proceeding. Yolo Superior Court Judge Samuel McAdam last week ordered the defendant to receive medication over Dominguez’s objections, ruling he was a danger to himself and others without it
Three medical experts testified that Dominguez has schizophrenia, according to court records. Jonathan Raven, the county’s chief deputy district attorney, said Dominguez will go to a state hospital when a bed becomes available and once his competency is restored, the criminal trial will resume.
Prosecutors disagreed with initial doctor’s report
Raven said in an email Monday that prosecutors disagreed with the initial doctor’s report and how she reached her conclusions regarding Dominguez’s competency. Prosecutors previously said Dominguez was “toying with the system” and should face a criminal trial.
They dropped their challenge after hearing new information at trial and the court’s order to initiate involuntary medication proceedings, Raven said.
Dominguez was in court Monday wearing a green safety vest. Previously he has spoken out loud to say he was guilty and wanted to apologize and that he did not want an attorney.
Criminal proceedings will remain suspended until doctors determine Dominguez "has been restored to competency," Yolo County deputy public defender Dan Hutchinson told USA TODAY in an emailed statement Monday.
The next court date is scheduled for Aug. 17, when the court will formally order that Dominguez be committed to a state hospital, Hutchinson said.
Three stabbings in one week
Dominguez, a former University of California, Davis student, was accused of killing two people and injuring a third in a series of stabbings near the college campus earlier this year. Dominguez was detained as a person of interest days after the third stabbing in May after 15 people called in reports of a person who matched the suspect’s description, Davis police previously said.
Dominguez was a third-year student majoring in biological sciences until April 25, when he was expelled.
The first victim, David Henry Breaux, 50, was killed on April 27 at Central Park and was found by police unresponsive and hunched over a bench, Davis Police Chief Darren Pytel said. The second victim, UC Davis senior Karim Abou Najm, 20, was fatally stabbed at Sycamore Park.
Najm was found with multiple stab wounds by a nearby resident who heard a disturbance. The third victim, Kimberlee Guillory, was stabbed several times through her tent and survived
“In less than a week, three stabbings that resulted in two deaths have occurred in our normally quiet and peaceful town and there is a lot of anxiety on what this means and what will be done," UC Davis and the city of Davis said in a joint statement in May.
The attacks terrified the community. Businesses closed early and some students were too scared to attend even daytime classes as their parents pleaded with them to return home.
It is unclear if Dominguez is 20 or 21 years old. The prosecutor’s office says official records list different dates of birth.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (16)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Former Mississippi officers expected to plead guilty to state charges for racist assault
- Crews searching for Maui wildfire victims could find another 10 to 20 people a day, Hawaii's governor says
- Freed U.S. nurse says Christian song was her rallying cry after she was kidnapped in Haiti
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Clarence Avant, a major power broker in music, sports and politics, has died at 92
- 'Back at square one': Research shows the folly of cashing out of 401(k) when leaving a job
- Pilot and crew member safely eject before Soviet-era fighter jet crashes at Michigan air show
- Average rate on 30
- Bachelor Nation's Jade Roper Shares She's Experiencing a Missed Miscarriage
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- After Maui fires, human health risks linger in the air, water and even surviving buildings
- Northwestern sued again over troubled athletics program. This time it’s the baseball program
- Russian fighter jet crashes at Michigan air show; video shows pilot, backseater eject
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Federal judges review Alabama’s new congressional map, lack of 2nd majority-Black district
- Russian fighter jet crashes at Michigan air show; video shows pilot, backseater eject
- Why Millie Bobby Brown Is Ready to Move on From Stranger Things
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
2nd swimmer in a month abandons attempt to cross Lake Michigan, blames support boat problems
The Taliban are entrenched in Afghanistan after 2 years of rule. Women and girls pay the price
Police apologize after Black teen handcuffed in an unfortunate case of 'wrong place, wrong time'
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Full transcript of Face the Nation, August 13, 2023
2nd swimmer in a month abandons attempt to cross Lake Michigan, blames support boat problems
Man sentenced for abandoning baby after MLB pitcher Dennis Eckersley’s daughter gave birth in woods