Current:Home > NewsAustralia proposes new laws to detain potentially dangerous migrants who can’t be deported -FundPrime
Australia proposes new laws to detain potentially dangerous migrants who can’t be deported
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 11:12:37
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The Australian government on Wednesday proposed new laws that would place behind bars some of the 141 migrants who have been set free in the three weeks since the High Court ruled their indefinite detention was unconstitutional.
Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil said Parliament would not end sittings for the year as scheduled next week unless new laws were enacted to allow potentially dangerous migrants to be detained.
“We are moving quickly to implement a preventive detention regime,” O’Neil told Parliament.
In 2021, the High Court upheld a law that can keep extremists in prison for three years after they have served their sentences if they continue to pose a danger.
O’Neil said the government intended to extend the preventative detention concept beyond terrorism to crimes including pedophilia.
“What we will do is build the toughest and most robust regime that we can because our sole focus here is protecting the Australian community,” O’Neil said.
O’Neil said she would prefer that all 141 had remained in prison-like migrant detention. She declined to say how many would be detained again under the proposed laws.
Human rights lawyers argue the government is imposing greater punishment on criminals simply because they are not Australian citizens.
The government decided on the new legislative direction after the High Court on Tuesday released its reasons for its Nov. 8 decision to free a stateless Myanmar Rohingya man who had been convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy.
Government lawyers say the seven judges’ reasons leave open the option for such migrants to remain in detention if they pose a public risk. That decision would be made by a judge rather than a government minister.
The ruling said the government could no longer indefinitely detain foreigners who had been refused Australian visas, but could not be deported to their homelands and no third country would accept them.
The migrants released due to the High Court ruling were mostly people with criminal records. The group also included people who failed visa character tests on other grounds and some who were challenging visa refusals through the courts. Some were refugees.
Most are required to wear electronic ankle bracelets to track their every move and stay home during curfews.
Opposition lawmaker James Paterson gave in-principle support to preventative detention, although he has yet to see the proposed legislation.
“We know there are many people who have committed crimes who’ve been tried of them, who’ve been convicted of them and detained for them, and I believe shouldn’t be in our country and would ordinarily be removed from our country, except that the crimes they’ve committed are so heinous that no other country in the world will take them,” Paterson said.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of global migration at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (41129)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Massachusetts towns warn about rare, lethal mosquito-borne virus: 'Take extra precautions'
- 18-year-old fatally struck by boat propeller in New Jersey, police say
- Girl, 11, dies after vehicle crashes into tree in California. 5 other young teens were injured
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Best Gifts for Every Virgo in Your Life
- Video shows California principal's suggestive pep rally dancing. Now he's on leave.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hidden Costs
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- MLB power rankings: Dodgers back on top with Shohei Ohtani's 40-40 heroics
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Former MLB Pitcher Greg Swindell Says Daughter Is in Danger After Going Missing
- New Lake Okeechobee Plan Aims for More Water for the Everglades, Less Toxic Algae
- Kroger and Albertsons hope to merge but must face a skeptical US government in court first
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Hurricane Hone soaks Hawaii with flooding rain; another storm approaching
- Baltimore man accused of killing tech CEO pleads guilty to attempted murder in separate case
- TikToker Jools Lebron Shuts Down Haters With Very Demure Response
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Lando Norris outruns Max Verstappen to win F1 Dutch Grand Prix
US District Court Throws Out Federal Agency’s Assessment Allowing More Drilling for Fossil Fuels in the Gulf of Mexico
Nevada men face trial for allegedly damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead recreation area
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Tennessee Republican leaders threaten to withhold funds as Memphis preps to put guns on the ballot
Hone downgraded to tropical storm as it passes Hawaii; all eyes on Hurricane Gilma
Video shows California principal's suggestive pep rally dancing. Now he's on leave.