Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Special counsel obtained search warrant for Trump's Twitter account in 2020 election probe -FundPrime
Rekubit-Special counsel obtained search warrant for Trump's Twitter account in 2020 election probe
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:52
Washington — Special counsel Jack Smith obtained a search warrant for information about former President Donald Trump's Twitter account earlier this year as part of his investigation into the aftermath of the 2020 election,Rekubit court records unsealed Wednesday show.
A ruling by a three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia revealed a lengthy battle that played out behind closed doors between the Justice Department and the Elon Musk-owned social media platform, now known as X. Twitter was ultimately held in civil contempt and fined $350,000 for twice failing to comply with the warrant.
Smith obtained the warrant for data and records pertaining to the Twitter account @realDonaldTrump on Jan. 17, 2023, along with a nondisclosure order prohibiting Twitter from sharing the existence of the warrant or its contents to anyone. The warrant arose from Smith's investigation into Trump's actions after he lost the 2020 presidential election, the appeals court said. Trump was charged with four counts in that probe and pleaded not guilty last week.
Twitter objected to the nondisclosure order, withholding the production of data and records while it challenged that order. A district court rejected that argument and said the company would be held in contempt if it didn't meet a new deadline to produce the records. Twitter missed that second deadline and the court denied Twitter's objections to the nondisclosure agreement, imposing the sanctions. The company fully produced the requested information several days after the deadline.
Twitter asked the appeals court to review the district court's actions, arguing the nondisclosure order violated the First Amendment and that the court abused its authority by issuing the fine and holding it in contempt. The appeals court sided with the lower court in the decision first issued on July 18 and unsealed on Wednesday.
The order revealed that the government "faced difficulties" when it first tried to serve Twitter with the warrant and nondisclosure order.
"On January 17, 2023, the government tried to submit the papers through Twitter's website for legal requests, only to find out that the website was inoperative," it said. "Two days later, on January 19, 2023, the government successfully served Twitter through that website. On January 25, 2023, however, when the government contacted Twitter's counsel to check on the status of Twitter's compliance, Twitter's counsel stated that she 'had not heard anything' about the warrant."
The details of what Twitter handed over about Trump's account were not immediately clear. His account was permanently suspended after the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol, but it was reinstated last year after Musk bought the company. Trump has not returned to tweeting, preferring to use his social media platform Truth Social.
News of the search warrant comes after a federal grand jury indicted Trump for his alleged role in conspiring to alter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. The former president has insisted that the criminal cases against him are meant to derail his presidential candidacy. He quickly responded to news of the search warrant on Truth Social.
"Just found out that Crooked Joe Biden's DOJ secretly attacked my Twitter account, making it a point not to let me know about this major 'hit' on my civil rights," Trump wrote. "My Political Opponent is going CRAZY trying to infringe on my Campaign for President."
Melissa Quinn contributed reporting.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Kathryn Watson is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (835)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Western Alaska Yup’ik village floods as river rises from a series of storms
- Taylor Swift sings with 'producer of the century' Jack Antonoff in London
- Stephen Colbert interview with Nancy Pelosi interrupted by protesters
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Hunter Biden’s lawyers, prosecutors headed back to court ahead of his trial on federal tax charges
- From cybercrime to terrorism, FBI director says America faces many elevated threats ‘all at once’
- 7-year-old found safe after boat capsizes on fishing trip; her 2 grandfathers found dead
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Grapefruit-sized hail? Climate change could bring giant ice stones
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's Real Breakup Date Revealed
- 5 takeaways from Day 3 of the DNC
- Usher setlist: All the songs on his innovative Past Present Future tour
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Bill Clinton’s post-presidential journey: a story told in convention speeches
- American Airlines extends suspension of flights to Israel through late March amid war in Gaza
- North Carolina elections board OKs university ID on phones for voter access this fall
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Warner Bros. pledges massive Nevada expansion if lawmakers expand film tax credit
Who Are Madonna's 6 Kids: A Guide to the Singer's Big Family
How well do you know the US Open? Try an AP quiz about the year’s last Grand Slam tennis tournament
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Kentucky’s new education chief promotes ambitious agenda
Democrats set their convention roll call to a soundtrack. Here’s how each song fits each state
Army soldier in custody after pregnant wife Mischa Johnson goes missing in Hawaii