Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Jury clears 3 men in the last trial tied to the plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer -FundPrime
SignalHub-Jury clears 3 men in the last trial tied to the plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:50:08
A jury acquitted three men Friday in the last trial connected to a plan to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer,SignalHub a scheme that was portrayed as an example of homegrown terrorism on the eve of the 2020 presidential election.
William Null, twin brother Michael Null and Eric Molitor were found not guilty of providing support for a terrorist act and a weapon charge. They were the last of 14 men to face charges in state or federal court. Nine were convicted and now five have been cleared.
The Nulls and Molitor were accused of supporting leaders of the plan by participating in military-style drills and traveling to see Whitmer’s vacation home in northern Michigan. The key players, Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr., were convicted of a kidnapping conspiracy last year in a different court.
In the latest trial, the jury heard 14 days of testimony in Antrim County, the location of Whitmer’s lakeside property, 185 miles (297 kilometers) north of the state Capitol.
There were gasps in the courtroom Friday morning as the jury foreperson announced not guilty verdicts, first for the brothers and then Molitor. Deliberations began Thursday morning and lasted a few more hours Friday.
The men cried as they hugged their lawyers and supporters.
“You gentlemen are free to leave,” Judge Charles Hamlyn said.
Authorities have said an attack on Whitmer began to simmer at a regional summit of anti-government extremists in Dublin, Ohio, in summer 2020. Fox, Croft and William Null were in attendance while an FBI informant also inside the gathering secretly recorded profanity-laced screeds threatening violence against public officials.
The disgust was also fueled by government-imposed restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to recordings, text messages and social media posts introduced as evidence at trial.
Molitor, 39, and William Null, 41, testified in their own defense, admitting they had attended gun drills and taken rides to check Whitmer’s property. But William Null said he and his brother broke away when talk turned to getting explosives. Molitor said Fox was “incredibly dumb” and wouldn’t pull off a kidnapping.
Assistant Attorney General William Rollstin urged jurors to not be swayed.
“If you help in whole or even in part you’ve satisfied that element” of the crime, Rollstin said in his closing argument Wednesday. “Was he helping him to plan? Was he helping him prepare? The answer is absolutely.”
Michael Null, 41, did not testify and his lawyer took the unusual step of declining to question any witnesses during the trial. Tom Siver said Michael Null did nothing wrong.
Informants and undercover FBI agents were inside the group for months before arrests were made in October 2020. Whitmer was not physically harmed.
Nine men were previously convicted in state or federal court, either through guilty pleas or at three other trials.
After the plot was thwarted, Whitmer blamed then-President Donald Trump, saying he had given “comfort to those who spread fear and hatred and division.” Out of office, Trump called the kidnapping plan a “fake deal” in 2022.
___
Follow Ed White at http://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (29574)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Dorian One of Strongest, Longest-Lasting Hurricanes on Record in the Atlantic
- 13 years after bariatric surgery, a 27-year-old says it changed her life
- Candace Cameron Bure Reacts to Claims That She Lied About Not Eating Fast Food for 20 Years
- 'Most Whopper
- An overlooked brain system helps you grab a coffee — and plan your next cup
- Lions hopeful C.J. Gardner-Johnson avoided serious knee injury during training camp
- See maps of where the Titanic sank and how deep the wreckage is amid search for missing sub
- Sam Taylor
- U.S. Coast Guard search for American Ryan Proulx suspended after he went missing near Bahamas shipwreck
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- How Massachusetts v. EPA Forced the U.S. Government to Take On Climate Change
- High Oil Subsidies Ensure Profit for Nearly Half New U.S. Investments, Study Shows
- See Below Deck Sailing Yacht's Gary Tell Daisy About His Hookup With Mads in Awkward AF Preview
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Tracking health threats, one sewage sample at a time
- At least 4 dead and 2 critically hurt after overnight fire in NYC e-bike repair shop
- Some state lawmakers say Tennessee expulsions highlight growing tensions
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
A Marine Heat Wave Intensifies, with Risks for Wildlife, Hurricanes and California Wildfires
Minnesota to join at least 4 other states in protecting transgender care this year
Sub still missing as Titanic wreckage site becomes focus of frantic search and rescue operation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
MLB trade deadline tracker: Will Angels deal Shohei Ohtani?
Paris Hilton Mourns Death of “Little Angel” Dog Harajuku Bitch
Music program aims to increase diversity in college music departments