Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer -FundPrime
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 06:50:17
SANTA FE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center N.M. (AP) — Defense attorneys for Alec Baldwin urged a New Mexico judge on Thursday to dismiss a grand jury indictment against the actor in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the Western movie “Rust.”
The indictment in January charged Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21, 2021, at a movie ranch on the outskirts of Santa Fe.
Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to the charge. His attorneys in a new court filing accused prosecutors of “unfairly stacking the deck” against Baldwin in grand jury proceedings that diverted attention away from exculpatory evidence and witnesses.
They say that prevented the jury from asserting their obligation to hear testimony from director Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting while standing near Hutchins, as well as assistant director and safety coordinator Dave Halls and props master Sarah Zachry.
“The grand jury did not receive the favorable or exculpatory testimony and documents that the state had an obligation to present,” said the court motion signed by defense attorney Luke Nikas. “Nor was the grand jury told it had a right to review and the obligation to request this information.”
Prosecutor Kari Morrissey declined to comment and said a response will be filed with the court.
Baldwin’s motion also asserts that the grand jury received inaccurate and one-sided testimony about the revolver involved in the fatal shooting.
“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was convicted by a jury last week in the shooting and is being held without bond pending an April sentencing hearing. Involuntary manslaughter carries a felony sentence of up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when the revolver went off, killing Hutchins and injuring Souza. Baldwin has maintained that he pulled back the gun’s hammer, but not the trigger.
Prosecutors blamed Gutierrez-Reed at a two-week trial for unwittingly bringing live ammunition onto the set of “Rust” where it was expressly prohibited. They also said she failed to follow basic gun-safety protocols.
Halls last year pleaded no contest to negligent handling of a firearm and completed a sentence of six months of unsupervised probation.
Baldwin is scheduled for trial in July.
veryGood! (31968)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Former Moelis banker seen punching woman is arrested on assault charges
- Oklahoma State RB Ollie Gordon II arrested on accusations of DUI, per reports
- Dutch king swears in a new government 7 months after far-right party won elections
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Stingray that went viral after mysterious pregnancy dies, aquarium says
- What we know about the fatal police shooting of a 13-year-old boy in upstate New York
- Prosecutor won’t oppose Trump sentencing delay in hush money case after high court immunity ruling
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Eva Amurri Claps Back at Critics Scandalized By Her Wedding Dress Cleavage
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Virginia Senate takes no action on move to repeal military tuition program restrictions
- Pepsi Pineapple is back! Tropical soda available this summer only at Little Caesars
- USS Carney returns from a Middle East deployment unlike any other
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Long time coming. Oklahoma's move to the SEC was 10 years in the making
- US gives key approval to Atlantic Shores offshore wind farm in New Jersey
- In wake of Supreme Court ruling, Biden administration tells doctors to provide emergency abortions
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
USPS raising stamp prices: Last chance to lock in Forever stamp rate ahead of increase
Grandfather drowns near dam after heroic rescue helps grandchild to safety
You're Overdue for a Checkup With the House Cast Then and Now
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Blind artist who was told you don't look blind has a mission to educate: All disabilities are a spectrum
New York Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo faints in hotel room, cuts head
Naomi Osaka wins at Wimbledon for the first time in 6 years, and Coco Gauff moves on, too