Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Head of FEMA tours deadly storm damage in Houston area as more residents get power back -FundPrime
Johnathan Walker:Head of FEMA tours deadly storm damage in Houston area as more residents get power back
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 10:38:02
HOUSTON (AP) — As the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency toured the Houston area on Johnathan WalkerTuesday to assess the damage from last week’s deadly storms, local officials reassured residents still without power that their lights would be back on and they could soon begin rebuilding their lives.
Houston Mayor John Whitmire said crews with CenterPoint Energy had been working hard to restore power to residents dealing with temperatures of about 90 degrees (32 Celsius) and heat indexes approaching 100 degrees (38 Celsius).
At the height of the power outages, nearly 1 million people in the Houston area were without electricity. By Tuesday evening, that was down to less than 95,000.
“We’re on top of it. No one is being neglected,” Whitmire said.
The widespread destruction of last Thursday’s storms left at least eight dead and brought much of Houston to a standstill. Thunderstorms and hurricane-force winds tore through the city, reducing businesses and other structures to piles of debris, uprooting trees and shattering glass from downtown skyscrapers. A tornado also touched down near the northwest Houston suburb of Cypress.
Some downtown streets remained closed as crews continued cleaning up glass as the strong winds damaged 3,250 windows on high-rise buildings. Officials said it could take months to repair all the windows.
The deadly winds tore through a wide swath of Harris County, where Houston is located, causing damage and knocking out the power in both lower income and wealthier neighborhoods.
Last week’s storms took place as the Houston area and several Texas counties to the north were still recovering from flooding caused by heavy rainfall in late April and early May.
FEMA has approved small business loans and federal disaster assistance, which can help pay for temporary housing and repairs, for both weather events.
More than 48,000 people in the affected counties that were declared disaster areas have already applied for assistance, FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell said Tuesday. The agency has already issued more than $1 million in help to residents.
“We know that thousands in the region are still without power. So again, I encourage you to continue to check in on your loved ones, your neighbors, your vulnerable individuals in your communities and make sure that they’re OK,” Criswell said.
Lisa Reed, a teacher who lives in the Cloverleaf neighborhood in east Harris County, had been without power for four days before finally getting it back Monday evening.
“I felt exhilarated. It was real good to be just back in my own home,” Reed said.
But Reed said one of her daughters and her son, who both live nearby, were still without power on Tuesday. Even with the power back on, some of Reed’s neighbors were dealing with sparking wires and other electrical problems.
“It’s frustrating seeing people struggle. You wish you could do more,” she said. “Everyone doesn’t have the resources.”
Harris County Commissioner Lesley Briones, whose home still didn’t have power on Tuesday, said the deadly storms have had a severe impact on many lower-income residents.
In one area in the Spring Branch neighborhood in northwest Harris County, many damaged apartment complexes are “completely unlivable” with damaged roofs and debris that is not being cleaned up by landlords or owners. Briones said many of the families in these complexes are living paycheck to paycheck.
“The choice is to stay in these substandard, unlivable conditions or be homeless. And so, we are working actively on the long-term legal issues,” she said.
Michelle Hundley, a spokesperson for CenterPoint Energy, said the utility provider still expected to restore power to more than 90% of customers by Wednesday. If someone didn’t have power by Wednesday, it would most likely be due to damaged equipment at their home that the homeowner would need to fix.
“Certainly our linemen and all of our employees are very diligent in working to make sure that your electricity is up and running, and we will do the absolute best that we can,” Hundley said.
Harris County Commissioner Adrian Garcia said some underserved communities might feel left out “because they see lights in nicer-looking neighborhoods go up. I just want to say you’re not forgotten. You’re not left behind.”
Authorities had initially reported the deadly storms were being blamed for at least seven deaths. On Sunday, authorities raised the total to eight to include a man who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while running a generator after his power went out.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (35765)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- New Hampshire diner fight leads to charges against former police officer, allegations of racism
- Early morning shooting at an Indianapolis bar kills 1 person and injures 5, report says
- Luis Suárez scores two goals in 23 minutes, Inter Miami tops D.C. United 3-1 without Messi
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Meet the underdogs who overcame significant obstacles to become one of the world's top dog-sledding teams
- 'Baywatch' star Nicole Eggert shaves her head with her daughter's help amid cancer battle
- Aaron Donald and his 'superpowers' changed the NFL landscape forever
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- America is getting green and giddy for its largest St. Patrick’s Day parades
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Absurd look, serious message: Why a man wearing a head bubble spoofed his way onto local TV
- Arizona authorities say a road rage incident led to a motorist’s death. The other man was arrested.
- Ree Drummond clears up weight loss medication rumors: 'I did not take Ozempic, Wegovy'
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Prosecutors in Chicago charge man with stabbing ex-girlfriend’s 11-year-old son to death
- A Georgia senator was exiled from the GOP caucus. Now Colton Moore is banned from the state House.
- These Chic Michael Kors Handbags Are All Under $100 – Add Them to Your Cart Before They Sell Out
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Meteorologists say this year’s warm winter provided key ingredient for Midwest killer tornadoes
Wayne Brady Details NSFW DMs He’s Gotten Since Coming Out as Pansexual
Coroner’s probe reveals Los Angeles maintenance man was Washington rape suspect believed long dead
Could your smelly farts help science?
The Daily Money: Do you hoard credit-card perks?
Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song Step Out for Rare Red Carpet Date Night
Former Massachusetts transit officer convicted of raping 2 women in 2012
Tags
Like
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- New bill seeks to strengthen bribery statute after Sen. Menendez accused of taking gold bars, cash for official acts
- MLS Matchday 5: Columbus Crew face surprising New York Red Bulls. Lionel Messi out again for Inter Miami.