Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Benedict Arnold burned a Connecticut city. Centuries later, residents get payback in fiery festival -FundPrime
Rekubit-Benedict Arnold burned a Connecticut city. Centuries later, residents get payback in fiery festival
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:33:26
NEW LONDON,Rekubit Conn. (AP) — A month before the British surrender at Yorktown ended major fighting during the American Revolution, the traitor Benedict Arnold led a force of Redcoats on a last raid in his home state of Connecticut, burning most of the small coastal city of New London to the ground.
It has been 242 years, but New London still hasn’t forgotten.
Hundreds of people, some in period costume, are expected to march through the city’s streets Saturday to set Arnold’s effigy ablaze for the Burning of Benedict Arnold Festival, recreating a tradition that was once practiced in many American cities.
“I like to jokingly refer to it as the original Burning Man festival,” said organizer Derron Wood, referencing the annual gathering in the Nevada desert.
For decades after the Revolutionary War, cities including New York, Boston and Philadelphia held yearly traitor-burning events. They were an alternative to Britain’s raucous and fiery Guy Fawkes Night celebrations commemorating the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605, when Fawkes was executed for conspiring with others to blow up King James I of England and both Houses of Parliament.
Residents “still wanted to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day, but they weren’t English, so they created a very unique American version,” Wood said.
The celebrations died out during the Civil War, but Wood, the artistic director of New London’s Flock Theatre, revived it a decade ago as a piece of street theater and a way to celebrate the city’s history using reenactors in period costumes.
Anyone can join the march down city streets behind the paper mache Arnold to New London’s Waterfront Park, where the mayor cries, “Remember New London,” and puts a torch to the effigy.
Arnold, a native of nearby Norwich, was initially a major general on the American side of the war, playing important roles in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga and the Battle of Saratoga in New York.
In 1779, though, he secretly began feeding information to the British. A year later, he offered to surrender the American garrison at West Point in exchange for a bribe, but the plot was uncovered when an accomplice was captured. Arnold fled and became a brigadier general for the British.
On Sept. 6, 1781, he led a force that attacked and burned New London and captured a lightly defended fort across the Thames River in Groton.
After the American victory at Yorktown a month later, Arnold left for London. He died in 1801 at age 60, forever remembered in the United States as the young nation’s biggest traitor.
New London’s Burning Benedict Arnold Festival, which has become part of the state’s Connecticut Maritime Heritage Festival, was growing in popularity before it was halted in 2020 because of the pandemic. The theater group brought the festival back last year.
“This project and specifically the reaction, the sort of hunger for its return, has been huge and the interest in it has been huge,” said Victor Chiburis, the Flock Theatre’s associate artistic director and the festival’s co-organizer.
The only time things got a little political, Chiburis said, is the year a group of Arnold supporters showed up in powdered wigs to defend his honor. But that was all tongue-in-cheek and anything that gets people interested in the Revolutionary War history of the city, the state and Arnold is positive, he said.
In one of the early years after the festival first returned, Mayor Michael Passero forgot to notify the police, who were less than pleased with the yelling, burning and muskets firing, he said.
But those issues, he said, were soon resolved and now he can only be happy that the celebration of one of the worst days in the history of New London brings a mob of people to the city every year.
veryGood! (676)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- John Aprea, 'The Godfather Part II' and 'Full House' actor, dies at 83
- Tech Magnate Mike Lynch and Daughter Among 6 People Missing After Yacht Sinks Off Sicily Coast
- Powell may use Jackson Hole speech to hint at how fast and how far the Fed could cut rates
- Small twin
- Alabama says law cannot block people with certain felony convictions from voting in 2024 election
- Chappell Roan Calls Out Entitled Fans for Harassing and Stalking Her
- Joe Jonas Shares Glimpse Into His Crappy 35th Birthday Celebration
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Tamirat Tola and Hellen Obiri look to defend titles in New York City Marathon
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Meghan Markle Shares How Her and Prince Harry’s Daughter Lilibet “Found Her Voice”
- King Charles visits victims of stabbing at Southport Taylor Swift-themed dance class
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Harris
- 'Most Whopper
- Where Mormon Wives #MomTok Influencer Community Stands 2 Years After Sex Scandal
- 3 things to do if you're worried about having too little saved for retirement
- Periods don’t have to be painful. Here’s how to find relief from menstrual cramps.
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Trump
1000-Lb. Sisters' Tammy Slaton Shows Off 500 Pound Weight Loss Transformation in New Video
Aces coach Becky Hammon says Dearica Hamby's mistreatment allegations 'didn't happen'
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
2 dead, at least 100 evacuated after flooding sweeps through Connecticut
Missouri now requires proof of surgery or court order for gender changes on IDs
PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Harris