Current:Home > ContactMichigan man charged with manslaughter in deadly building explosion -FundPrime
Michigan man charged with manslaughter in deadly building explosion
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 05:26:11
DETROIT — A Michigan man who owns and operates a Clinton Township building that exploded in March, killing a teenager and injuring a firefighter, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, prosecutors announced Thursday.
Noor Noel Kestou, 31, was arraigned on the 15-year felony charge in connection with the explosions on March 4 at Goo Smoke Shop/Select Distributors, where the incident rocked residents for miles in the county. Thousands of cans of nitrous oxide and butane were inside the building, the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office said.
Canisters propelled into the air and rained down throughout the area, with various types of debris found more than a mile away.
Turner Salter, 19, of Clinton Township, a bystander, died after he was hit in the head with a projectile about a quarter mile from the business. According to prosecutors, the teen was struck by a nitrous oxide canister. Township firefighter Matt Myers was also injured when debris came through the windshield of a vehicle and glass clipped the side of his face, officials previously said.
Kestou was ordered held in the county jail on a $500,000 bond during an arraignment in Clinton Township. A not-guilty plea was entered, according to district court records.
If Kestou posts bond, he must wear a GPS tether, surrender his passport, not leave the state, and have no weapons, according to the prosecutor's office release. A probable cause conference was set for May 7.
Kestou's attorney, James Thomas, said they are not commenting on the particulars of the case. He expected Kestou to make bond Thursday, and said they are going to continue to work with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to clean up the site.
"It's a terrible tragedy, and we're going to let it work its way through the courts," Thomas said.
Butane, nitrous oxide, lighter fluid and vape pens exploded during blaze
Prosecutor Peter Lucido said in his release: "Our hearts ache for the family and loved ones of the young man whose life was tragically cut short by this devastating explosion. We are steadfast in our commitment to pursuing justice and holding the individual accountable for their actions."
Lucido, Township Supervisor Bob Cannon and Township Police Chief Dina Caringi plan to give an update on the explosions and fire during a news conference Friday at the township's police headquarters. A township news release Thursday stated the explosions and fire were caused by improperly store canisters of butane and nitrous oxide and the update will focus on the results of the ongoing police investigation.
Township officials previously said the site, a former Save-A-Lot retail and warehouse store, wasn't supposed to have butane and nitrous oxide tanks inside. They said butane and nitrous oxide, lighter fluid, vape pens and canisters measuring 12 to 18 inches and weighing 10 to 15 pounds exploded during the blaze.
Canisters as well as knives and blades that were inside the building were tossed into the air, raining down on police and fire crews as well as other properties. Cannon previously said the knives were legal, the canisters were not.
See photos of the blazeFiery explosion leaves one dead and others injured in Michigan
'That's where the problem came'
Cannon said two commercial businesses were authorized to be in the building. Township property records listed three owners of parcels at the address. Township officials inspected the property in 2022, "then they brought things in the back door that we didn't know about and that's where the problem came," Cannon said previously.
According to its website, Select Distributors is a wholesale supplier of novelty items, phone accessories and other merchandise to discount stores and other types of retailers and wholesalers.
Paul Brouwer, the township's emergency management coordinator, previously said the debris field from the blaze and explosions was 1 mile across and dozens of canisters were found embedded in yards. Scott Kleinfeld, the township's assistant superintendent of public works, previously said crews gathered debris from a 2-mile radius.
Township officials previously said the owner and employees had been cooperative in the investigation.
In mid-March, a spokesperson for Select Distributors emailed a statement: "Select Distributors is deeply saddened and expresses its sincerest condolences to the victim's family. It is actively cooperating with investigators as they work to determine the cause of the accident. Select Distributors has been a proud employer and member of this community for over a decade and is focused on ensuring safety and support of its team members and community."
Contact Christina Hall at [email protected] or follow her on X @challreporter.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Robbery suspect’s colorful underwear helped police arrest him, authorities say
- Wilcox Ice Cream recalls all flavors due to possible listeria contamination
- If you haven’t started your Thanksgiving trip, you’re not alone. The busiest days are still to come
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Stock market today: Asian shares slip in cautious trading following a weak close on Wall Street
- Prince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher
- With no Powerball available, a Mass. woman played a different game and won $25,000 for life
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- The first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade featured live animals (bears and elephants)
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Snoop Dogg said he quit smoking, but it was a ruse. Here's why some experts aren't laughing.
- OpenAI says ousted CEO Sam Altman to return to company behind ChatGPT
- 4 Las Vegas teenagers charged with murder as adults in fatal beating of high school classmate
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Missouri driver killed in crash involving car fleeing police
- Czech president approves plan introducing budget cuts, taxes. Labor unions call for protests
- Phoenix man gets 22 years in prison for nearly a dozen drive-by shootings
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
'Scott Pilgrim Takes Off'—and levels up
2 killed, 5 injured in Philadelphia shooting, I-95 reopened after being closed
Albuquerque police cadet and husband are dead in suspected domestic violence incident, police say
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Bradley Cooper defends use of prosthetic makeup in 'Maestro' role: 'We just had to do it'
If you haven’t started your Thanksgiving trip, you’re not alone. The busiest days are still to come
Czech president approves plan introducing budget cuts, taxes. Labor unions call for protests