Current:Home > FinanceProsecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal -FundPrime
Prosecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 10:35:40
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan attorney general’s office said Tuesday that the state prosecution of former Gov. Rick Snyder and other officials for their roles in the Flint water scandal has ended.
A decision Tuesday by the state Supreme Court to decline to hear appeals of a lower court’s dismissal of misdemeanor charges against Snyder “effectively closes the door on the criminal prosecutions of the government officials,” prosecutors said in a release.
“At this time the court has left us with no option but to consider the Flint water prosecutions closed,” the prosecution team said.
The Michigan Supreme Court in September rejected a last-chance effort by prosecutors to revive criminal charges. The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty. The indictment against him also was dismissed, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors in September only because that case was on a different timetable.
The Associated Press left a text message Tuesday seeking comment from Snyder’s attorney.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch.
Flint was reconnected to a regional water system in 2015 and has been compliant with lead standards for seven years, regulators said.
Snyder, a Republican, acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of a crime.
“Our disappointment in the Michigan Supreme Court is exceeded only by our sorrow for the people of Flint,” the prosecution team said.
The prosecution team said Tuesday that it expects next year to release “a full and thorough report” detailing its efforts and decisions.
Separately, the state agreed to pay $600 million as part of a $626 million settlement with residents and property owners who were harmed by lead-tainted water. Most of the money is going to children.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- A massive tech outage is causing worldwide disruptions. Here’s what we know
- Drone strike by Yemen’s Houthi rebels kills 1 person and wounds at least 10 in Tel Aviv
- Churchill Downs lifts suspension of trainer Bob Baffert following Medina Spirit’s failed drug test
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Christina Hall's HGTV Show Moving Forward Without Josh Hall Amid Breakup
- Federal appeals court dismisses lawsuit over Tennessee’s anti-drag show ban
- The bodies of 4 Pakistanis killed in the attack on a mosque in Oman have been returned home
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 9-Year-Old Boy Found Dead in Arizona Home Filled With Spiders and Gallons of Apparent Urine
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- A massive tech outage is causing worldwide disruptions. Here’s what we know
- Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
- Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff stops by USA women’s basketball practice
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Blinken points to wider pledges to support Ukraine in case US backs away under Trump
- New emojis aren't 'sus' or 'delulu,' they're 'giving.' Celebrate World Emoji Day
- Some convictions overturned in terrorism case against Muslim scholar from Virginia
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
RHOBH's Kyle Richards Seemingly Reacts to Mauricio Umansky Kissing New Woman
Alabama naming football field after Nick Saban. How Bryant-Denny Stadium will look this fall
Julia Fox’s Brunette Hair Transformation Will Have You Doing a Double Take
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Federal appeals court dismisses suit challenging Tennessee drag restrictions law
Tiger Woods misses cut, finishes disastrous British Open at 14-over
Country Singer Rory Feek Marries Daughter's Teacher 8 Years After Death of Wife Joey