Current:Home > NewsOutage map shows where AT&T service was down for cellphone users across U.S. -FundPrime
Outage map shows where AT&T service was down for cellphone users across U.S.
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 06:28:10
Tens of thousands of AT&T customers reported problems with their cellphone service on Thursday morning, with a map of the outage showing people affected across the U.S.
Customers of other networks also said they experienced problems, but rival carriers Verizon, T-Mobile and UScellular said their networks were operational and noted that their users were probably having difficulty reaching people on AT&T's network.
At about 11 a.m. ET on Thursday, AT&T said it had made progress in restoring its network. By mid-afternoon, it said service had been fully restored.
"We have restored wireless service to all our affected customers," AT&T said in a statement at 3:10 p.m. ET. "We sincerely apologize to them. Keeping our customers connected remains our top priority, and we are taking steps to ensure our customers do not experience this again in the future."
Later Thursday night, the company attributed the outage to a software bug.
"Based on our initial review, we believe that today's outage was caused by the application and execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network, not a cyber attack," the company said on its website. "We are continuing our assessment of today's outage to ensure we keep delivering the service that our customers deserve."
Here is a look at the areas that were affected during the outage.
AT&T outage map
Downdetector had about 40,000 reports of service issues from AT&T customers at around noon Eastern Time, down from a peak of more than 70,000 reports. Most of the complaints were focused on problems with mobile phones or wireless service.
Outages were highest in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Chicago, New York, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta and Indianapolis, according to Downdetector.
What caused the AT&T outage?
The company attributed the outage to a software bug.
The outage snarled 911 centers, with some law enforcement officials noting that some people were calling the emergency number to test whether their phones worked.
Officials urged people to refrain from calling 911 to test their phones.
"Many 911 centers in the state are getting flooded w/ calls from people trying to see if 911 works from their cellphone. Please do not do this," the Massachusetts State Police wrote on X, the former Twitter.
Taylor Johnston contributed to this report.
- In:
- Cellphones
- AT&T
Aimee Picchi is the associate managing editor for CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and personal finance. She previously worked at Bloomberg News and has written for national news outlets including USA Today and Consumer Reports.
TwitterveryGood! (67414)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Billionaires want to build a new city in rural California. They must convince voters first
- New law aims to prevent furniture tip-over deaths
- Hurricane Idalia's wrath scars 'The Tree Capital of the South': Perry, Florida
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Hayden Panettiere Debuts Bold New Look That Screams Pretty in Pink
- Texas A&M freshman WR Micah Tease suspended indefinitely after drug arrest
- Burning Man 2023: With no estimate of reopening time, Burners party in the rain and mud
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- 'Senseless act of gun violence': College student fatally shot by stranger, police say
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Russia says it thwarted attacks on Crimea bridge, which was briefly closed for a third time
- Pro-Kremlin rapper who calls Putin a die-hard superhero takes over Domino's Pizza outlets in Russia
- Some businesses in Vermont’s flood-wracked capital city reopen
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- White teen charged with attempted murder after allegedly trying to drown Black youth
- UCF apologizes for National Guard social post during game against Kent State
- How one man fought a patent war over turmeric
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
NWSL's Chicago Red Stars sold for $60 million to group that includes Cubs' co-owner
Your iPhone knows where you go. How to turn off location services.
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Delaware man who police blocked from warning of speed trap wins $50K judgment
Inside Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood's Against-All-Odds Love Story
Family in central Mexico struggles to preserve the natural way of producing intense red dye