Current:Home > ScamsNew Jersey fines PointsBet for 3 different types of sports betting violations -FundPrime
New Jersey fines PointsBet for 3 different types of sports betting violations
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:28:14
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — The online sports betting company PointsBet committed three different types of violations of New Jersey sports betting laws, according to gambling regulators who fined the company $25,000.
The fine was imposed on Aug. 23, but details of the case were not released by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office until Tuesday, nearly two weeks after The Associated Press requested them.
According to a posting on the web site of the state Division of Gaming Enforcement, the agency reached a settlement with PointsBet under which the Denver-based company was to pay a $25,000 fine.
PointsBet declined comment on Wednesday.
One aspect of the fine involved the company accepting so-called “pre-match” bets in August 2021 on games that had already begun. All five bets came from one customer, who wagered $13,500 and received $28,275.
After discovering the error, the bets were voided and the money from the customer’s initial bets was returned, according to the gaming enforcement division.
The company told regulators “that it did not have an automated process in place to review the accuracy and timeliness of published markets,” according to the division.
“PointsBet stated that the ‘overwhelming’ number of matches offered through PointsBet made it ‘unrealistic’ to check and verify each event and the market offered for wagering,” the division wrote in a document outlining the charges against the company.
The division added that PointsBet attributed the problem to “an unresolved communication issue” between itself and a third party data feed provider.
PointsBet also accepted bets on March 25, 2022, on the St. Peter’s men’s basketball team, an underdog team which was on a legendary “Cinderella” roll through the NCAA tournament, but which was ineligible to be bet on in New Jersey. The market for St. Peter’s bets was live for 55 minutes and two people placed bets, totaling $60. Both were canceled.
PointsBet blamed human error for the mistake, according to the gaming enforcement division.
On Oct. 29, 2021, the company offered bets on a “League Of Legends” esports competition in which a player on one of the teams was 17 years old, under the legal minimum age of 18.
It took four bets totaling $1,225, but later voided them. The company told regulators it did not check the age of competitors before listing the video game event on its web site for betting, but said it has since added a process to do so.
____
This story has been corrected to show one of the violations involved pre-match bets that were offered after a game had already begun, not games that had already concluded.
veryGood! (31)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Who’s who in the triple-murder trial of Chad Daybell
- Single parent buys spur-of-the-moment lottery ticket while getting salad, wins $1 million
- Lunchables have concerning levels of lead and sodium, Consumer Reports finds
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Periodical cicadas will emerge in 2024. Here's what you need to know about these buzzing bugs.
- Presumed remains of missing teen found in Utah after accused killer reportedly leads authorities to burial site
- Congress summons Boeing’s CEO to testify on its jetliner safety following new whistleblower charges
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- New WIC rules include more money for fruits and vegetables for low-income families
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Travel With the Best Luggage in 2024, Plus On-Sale Luggage Options
- Wynonna Judd's daughter Grace Kelley arrested for indecent exposure, obstruction
- Costco's gold bars earn company up to $200 million monthly, analysts say
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Trump supporters trying to recall Wisconsin GOP leader failed, elections review concludes
- Biden administration imposes first-ever national drinking water limits on toxic PFAS
- Searching for Tommy John: Sizing up the key culprits in MLB's elbow injury epidemic
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Love Is Blind's Jessica Vestal Shares Why She Lost Weight After Quitting the Gym
Donald De La Haye, viral kicker known as 'Deestroying,' fractures neck in UFL game
Black-owned children's bookstore in North Carolina is closing over alleged threats
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Mom left kids for dead on LA freeway after she committed murder, cops believe
Lady Gaga Sparks Engagement Rumors With Boyfriend Michael Polansky With Applause-Worthy Diamond Ring
College students are flocking to the Marriage Pact, mostly for fun, but some find lasting love