Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Advocates scramble to aid homeless migrant families after Massachusetts caps emergency shelter slots -FundPrime
Oliver James Montgomery-Advocates scramble to aid homeless migrant families after Massachusetts caps emergency shelter slots
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:06:54
BOSTON (AP) — Advocates scrambling to find shelter for homeless migrant families newly arrived to Massachusetts say they’re frustrated with a lack of good options after the state capped the number of family shelter spots and Oliver James Montgomerycreated a wait list.
The cap has tied the hands of those trying to help families seeking refuge from increasingly cold nights, dumping those families on a kind of housing merry-go-round from airport lounges to hospital waiting rooms and walk-in church shelters.
“Right now there’s no place to send them,” Cherlin Dubon, a triage case specialist at La Colaborativa in Chelsea, Massachusetts said of homeless families seeking a safe place to stay.
“What was not done right was having a plan,” she said. “They could have done better.”
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey, who created the cap, said the state is working with local groups to provide temporary spaces for those on the wait list. The cap and wait list took effect last week when the state crossed a threshold set by Healey of 7,500 families in the state’s emergency shelter system.
Healey defended her handling of the crisis, saying the state is taking steps to address the shortage of emergency shelter spots, including teaming with the United Way of Massachusetts Bay on a $5 million grant program to help local groups working with newly arrived migrant families open up more temporary overnight shelter spaces.
She also pointed to a newly launched program with the Department of Homeland Security to help speed up the process for migrants to get work authorizations – the first step to finding a job and a place to live.
“I think we’re doing all that we can right now. The key is getting people exited from shelters. That will increase capacity in existing shelter space,” she said. “The key really is getting people working.”
Since Sept. 1 more than 400 families have exited the emergency family shelter system, opening up those spots for other families. Despite the effort to cycle families out of the shelter system, the newly created wait list is starting to fill up. As of midday on Monday, 22 families were on the list.
Critics argue Healey’s decision to cap shelter placements violates the state’s “right-to-shelter” law. Under the four-decade-old law, Massachusetts is legally required to provide emergency shelter to eligible families.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Alabama school band director says he was ‘just doing my job’ before police arrested him
- 84-year-old man back in court after being accused of shooting Black teen Ralph Yarl
- Six Palestinians are killed in latest fighting with Israel, at least 3 of them militants
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- First private US passenger rail line in 100 years is about to link Miami and Orlando at high speed
- UK’s new online safety law adds to crackdown on Big Tech companies
- Judge sets trial date to decide how much Giuliani owes 2 election workers in damages
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Biden officials no longer traveling to Detroit this week to help resolve UAW strike
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Railroads work to make sure firefighters can quickly look up what is on a train after a derailment
- Jessica Simpson Says Her Heart Is “So Taken” With Husband Eric Johnson in Birthday Tribute
- The Federal Reserve is making a decision on interest rates today. Here's what to expect.
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Outdated headline sparks vicious online hate campaign directed at Las Vegas newspaper
- Iconic Budweiser Clydesdales will no longer have their tails shortened
- Ohio police response to child’s explicit photos sparks backlash and criticism over potential charges
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Are morning workouts better for weight loss?
Japan’s troubled Toshiba to delist after takeover by Japanese consortium succeeds
Dutch photographer Erwin Olaf has died at 64. He shot themes from gay nightlife to the royal family
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Bipartisan group of Wisconsin lawmakers propose ranked-choice voting and top-five primaries
Stock market today: Asian shares track Wall Street’s slump after Fed says rates may stay high in ’24
No house, spouse or baby: Should parents worry their kids are still living at home? Maybe not.