Current:Home > reviewsAndy Cohen apologizes, denies sexually harassing Brandi Glanville in 2022 video call -FundPrime
Andy Cohen apologizes, denies sexually harassing Brandi Glanville in 2022 video call
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 03:55:21
Andy Cohen is apologizing after Brandi Glanville accused him of sexual harassment.
The former "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star made the accusation in a letter on Thursday issued to Bravo's parent company, NBCUniversal, which claims Cohen sent her an inappropriate video in 2022.
"In a video sent by Mr. Cohen to Ms. Glanville in 2022, Mr. Cohen — appearing obviously inebriated — boasted of his intention to sleep with another Bravo star that night while thinking of her and invited her to watch via Facetime," reads the letter, obtained by USA TODAY.
The letter, issued by Glanville's attorney's via email, was also sent to Warner Bros. Discovery and Shed Media.
In a statement provided to USA TODAY Friday, Glanville's attorney Bryan Freedman accused the companies addressed in the letter and the wider reality television industry of "abusive practices."
The letter called the alleged incident an "abuse of power" as Cohen is Glanville's boss and "exercised complete and total control over her career" and left her "feeling trapped and disgusted."
On Friday, Cohen responded to the letter via X, formerly Twitter, claiming the video was "clearly" a joke between he, Glanville and "Below Deck" star Kate Chastain.
"The video shows Kate Chastain and I very clearly joking to Brandi. It was absolutely meant in jest, and Brandi's response clearly communicated she was in on the joke," he wrote. "That said, it was totally inappropriate and I apologize."
Cohen is the longtime executive producer of Bravo's "The Real Housewives" franchise and host of its reunions, as well as the host of the network's late night talk show "Watch What Happens Live!"
Glanville appeared on "RHOBH" from 2011 to 2016 and 2019 to 2020. She also appeared on Season 2 and the upcoming Season 5 of "The Real Housewives Ultimate Girls Trip."
Cohen "remains in his post in spite of this behavior," the letter says, and compares the video to NBC's handling of accusations against Matt Lauer in 2017, "when profits were prioritized over people."
Mark Geragos, Glanville's other attorney, and Freedman claim to "have heard from thousands of current and former cast members on reality shows about the physical and emotional harm inflicted on them by virtue of their participation. NBC, Bravo, Warner Bros., and Shed Media intentionally obscure their legal rights, bind them to illegal contracts, and knowingly cause them to suffer in silence."
The statement continues: "We know there are untold numbers of innocent victims who have yet to tell their stories or seek legal redress. We encourage all of them to contact us and join our growing team as we fight for change in this sordid industry."
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Cohen for comment. Warner Bros. Discovery, Shed Media and NBCUniversal declined to comment.
A reality TV reckoning in Hollywood:'Love is Blind' contestant Renee Poche sues Netflix, says she 'felt like a prisoner'
Brandi Glanville's claim follows Caroline Manzo's harassment accusation against her
The letter was written in response to accusations of sexual assault made against Glanville.
The reality star accused NBCUniversal and its affiliate companies of taking advantage of her and "standing idly by" as her character and livelihood are put into question.
A lawsuit filed by Caroline Manzo against Bravo, the producers of "Real Housewives Ultimate Girls Trip," last month alleged an incident involving sexual harassment by Glanville, her former co-star.
Lawsuit:Caroline Manzo sues Bravo over sexual harassment by Brandi Glanville on 'Real Housewives'
The former "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star filed a lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court on Jan. 26 alleging that "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" breakout Glanville sexually assaulted and harassed Manzo while filming an upcoming season of "Ultimate Girls Trip" in Morocco in January 2023, according to a legal filing obtained by USA TODAY.
"NBC and Shed Media are deliberately refashioning a series of intimate moments between two consenting adults into a #MeToo scenario," the letter states, later accusing the companies of refusing to provide Glanville with video and audio recordings in an attempt to refute the allegations against her.
Manzo accused the show's producers of hiring Glanville as a cast member despite "overwhelming prior notice of Ms. Glanville's prior deviant sexual proclivities and sexually harassing conduct."
The lawsuit alleged that Glanville kissed Manzo multiple times without her consent, which made the former New Jersey Housewife “uncomfortable," as they were filming. The "Manzo’d with Children" matriarch said that, after the initial kissing incident, Granville mounted Manzo on the couch and held her body down before forcibly kissing and humping her.
The lawsuit similarly named Warner Bros. and NBCUniversal as defendants.
In a statement provided to USA TODAY last month, a representative for Glanville said: "Sadly, Brandi had to wake up to yet another lawsuit that includes defamatory, false accusations about her. While filming, Brandi followed what the producers asked of her, and there was no sexual assault."
The statement continued, "She is innocent of these absurd accusations that have weighed on her mental and physical health for far too long without a word of support from Peacock, Shed (Media) or Bravo. This painful storytelling seems endless and needs to stop. She is looking to move on and upward and get her life back."
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE & online.rainn.org).
Contributing: Jay Stahl and KiMi Robinson
veryGood! (345)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's It Takes Two Co-Star Reveals Major Easter Egg You Totally Missed
- Tamar Braxton Is Engaged to Queens Court Finalist Jeremy JR Robinson
- Boy Meets World's Ben Savage Marries Longtime Love Tessa Angermeier
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- In surprise move, Sheryl Sandberg leaves Facebook after 14 years
- China public holidays bring a post-COVID travel boom, and a boost for its shaky economic recovery
- You're@Work: The Right Persona for the Job
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Here's Why Red Lipstick Makes You Think of Sex
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Supreme Court blocks Texas social media law from taking effect
- Grubhub offered free lunches in New York City. That's when the chaos began
- Tobacco giant admits to selling products to North Korea, agrees to pay more than $600 million
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Maryland Apple store workers face hurdles after their vote to unionize
- Second convoy of U.S. citizens fleeing Khartoum arrives at Port Sudan
- Aly & AJ Explain Their Sacred Bond in Potentially the Sweetest Interview Ever
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Apple workers in Atlanta become company's 1st retail workers to file to unionize
Oregon is dropping an artificial intelligence tool used in child welfare system
A Monk Movie With Tony Shalhoub Is Officially Happening: All the Details
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Why Taylor Swift's Red Lipstick Era Almost Didn't Happen
Sports betting ads are everywhere. Some worry gamblers will pay a steep price
Coast Guard suspends search for Royal Caribbean cruise ship passenger who went overboard