Current:Home > MyJosh Duggar's Appeal in Child Pornography Case Rejected by Supreme Court -FundPrime
Josh Duggar's Appeal in Child Pornography Case Rejected by Supreme Court
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 10:17:28
Josh Duggar will remain in prison.
The 19 Kids and Counting alum's appeal for the guilty verdict in his child pornography case to be overturned was rejected by the Supreme Court June 24, according to the Associated Press. The court reportedly did not elaborate on its denial.
This is the second time an appeal filed by Josh has been rejected. In October, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit rejected the 36-year-old's first attempt to appeal his December 2021 conviction on one count of receipt of child pornography and one count of possession of child pornography, to which he pleaded not guilty.
E! News has reached out to Josh's legal team for comment but has not yet heard back.
The appeal denials mean Josh—who shares seven kids with his wife Anna Duggar—will continue to serve his 12-and-a-half year prison sentence, which is scheduled to end in October 2032. According to court documents previously obtained by E! News, in addition to his time behind bars, the former reality star was also fined $10,000 and will be placed on 20 years of supervised release after he gets out of prison.
Josh is the eldest child of Jim Bob Duggar and Michelle Duggar, the parents at the center of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting. The show was canceled in 2015 after 10 seasons on-air after allegations emerged that Josh had molested multiple girls as a teen—which eventually led to his sisters Jessa Duggar and Jill Duggar coming forward to say they were victims.
Josh previously expressed regret over the situation.
"Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret," he told People in 2015. "I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling."
While the network created a spinoff called Counting On, which followed Josh's younger sisters, the series was cancelled after 11 seasons shortly after Josh was was arrested for child pornography charges in April 2021.
Following Josh's conviction, a number of his family members have weighed in on the case, including his parents Jim Bob and Michelle.
"This entire ordeal has been very grievous," they shared in a statement with E! News in December 2021. "Today, God's grace, through the love and prayers of so many, has sustained us. Our hearts and prayers are with anyone who has ever been harmed through CSAM [Child Sexual Abuse Material]."
"In the days ahead, we will do all we can to surround our daughter-in-law Anna and their children with love and support," they continued. "As parents, we will never stop praying for Joshua, and loving him, as we do all of our children. In each of life's circumstances, we place our trust in God."
And in February 2023, Jinger Duggar provided insight on where she and her sisters stand with their sister-in-law Anna following the trial.
"We're always here for them if they need anything," she told E! News of Anna and her seven children. "And I hope that they would know that."
She continued, "I'm just grateful for the justice system. My heart just breaks for the victims and their families."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (473)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Hurricane Helene is unusual — but it’s not an example of the Fujiwhara Effect
- Halsey Hospitalized After Very Scary Seizure
- Kentucky sheriff accused of killing judge in Letcher County pleads not guilty
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Coach named nearly 400 times in women's soccer abuse report no longer in SafeSport database
- Man charged with killing 13-year-old Detroit girl whose body remains missing
- Adam Brody Shares His Surprising Take on an O.C. Revival
- Bodycam footage shows high
- The number of Americans filing for jobless aid falls to lowest level in 4 months
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- Vanessa Williams talks 'Survivor,' Miss America controversy and working with Elton John
- Man who set off explosion at California courthouse had a criminal case there
- Moving homeless people from streets to shelter isn’t easy, San Francisco outreach workers say
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Shohei Ohtani 50/50 home run ball headed to auction. How much will it be sold for?
- These are the top 5 states with the worst-behaved drivers: Ohio? Texas? You're good.
- CDC: Tenth death reported in listeria outbreak linked to Boar's Head meats
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Alabama death row inmate's murders leaves voids in victims' families: 'I'll never forget'
Who is Eric Adams? The New York City mayor faces charges alleging he took bribes
Opinion: Who is Vince McMahon? He can't hide true self in 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix series
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
How Mike Tyson's training videos offer clues (and mystery) to Jake Paul bout
Harris makes scandal-plagued Republican the star of her campaign to win North Carolina
Eric Roberts slams Julia Roberts in 'Steel Magnolias,' says he's not 'jealous': Reports